Osteochondrosis is a devastating change in the structure of the spine, and especially in the discs between vertebrae and tissues. It is manifested in flattening of the disc, loss of moisture in the joints, and inability to perform a shock-absorbing and mobile function. There are types of cervical, thoracic, lumbar and pathology.
Why is cervical osteochondrosis scary?
Osteochondrosis of the cervix in the spine presents with devastating changes in the cervical spine. Which lead to destruction of the intervertebral discs in the neck, tightening of the nerve endings and is accompanied by severe pain.
Osteochondrosis of the cervical spine is the most dangerous type of disease in this group. Since this section contains a large number of important vessels, capillaries and arteries that supply the brain with blood and oxygen.
This pathology can not go unnoticed, since almost from the beginning of its development, it is associated with pain syndromes. If this disease is not treated, then it can cause serious disturbances in the work of the whole body and the spine in particular. Sometimes premature treatment can be fatal if the destruction affects important arteries.
Can osteochondrosis of the cervical spine be treated at home?
There are many differences of opinion in the use of self-medication and treatment with folk remedies. However, with regard to the treatment of osteochondrosis, here the experts agree that not only is it possible, but it also plays a major role in the healing of the patient.
Self-control and self-discipline to take the necessary measures play an important role in home care.
However, it should be noted that the entire home treatment complex must be agreed and approved by the attending physician. A specialist will help you choose a comprehensive therapy for home treatment, as a systematic approach is needed to combat cervical osteochondrosis.
All home treatment should aim not only at eliminating the signs of the disease, but also at combating its causes.
So we can say with confidence that home treatment is not only possible but also beneficial if you choose the right methods.
How effective is home treatment
By properly adhering to the recommendations of the attending physician, home treatment helps to achieve positive dynamics much faster.
Home treatment of the disease, as well as its prevention, is an affordable, cheap and quite easy method. And the effect of such treatment is very great.
Advantages of home treatment include:
- Low price.
- A variety of methods.
- Ability to change methods based on their effectiveness.
- The use of folk remedies gives less stress to the body than medicines.
Methods for treating cervical osteochondrosis at home
Home treatment aims to fulfill the following tasks:
- Elimination of pain syndrome.
- Improving blood circulation to the affected areas and the brain.
- Improve metabolic processes in joint and bone tissues.
Home therapy methods include:
- Neck gymnastics.
- Use of medication.
- Acupuncture with an applicator.
- Folk remedies:
- Paraffin applicators.
Neck gymnastics involves fairly light exercises and is available to everyone. Helps speed up the healing process and aims to relieve pain, relax neck muscles and stretch compressed ligaments.
Neck gymnastics includes the following exercises:
- The head tilts in different directions.
- Rotating head movements clockwise and counterclockwise.
- Bend your head back to the border and tilt your head forward until your chin rests.
- Straight arm movements in a circle.
- Circular movements of the shoulder girdle.
All movements should be performed smoothly, without shaking. The load should be increased gradually. Gymnastics is performed systematically and only in the absence of pain symptoms.
Self-massage helps improve blood circulation, relieve pain, improve metabolic processes in tissues, relax muscles and relieve blood pressure.
The massage should be performed from top to bottom, from the center to the edges, with warm hands and only with the fingertips. Performed only in the absence of pain and inflammation and excludes sudden movements and use of force.
- Sit with your elbows on the table.
- Find the painful area with your fingers.
- Cook it, massage in a circular motion.
- Rub and wrap with caress.
- Stretch the neck on both sides for ten minutes.
- Massage the back of the head with your thumbs for five minutes.
Proper diet and nutrition follow a number of tasks, among which are:
- Restoring the balance of vitamins and minerals.
- Limit fluid intake.
- Maintaining an optimal weight, which in turn helps reduce stress on the spine.
- Collagen replenishment in the body.
When following a diet, it is necessary that the diet be varied and low in calories. Food should be taken 5-6 times a day and in small portions.
The diet should be enriched with vitamins, calcium and include natural chondroprotectors. This requires the use of a large amount of vegetables and fruits, as well as dairy products, fish, eggs.
Prohibited foods include:
- Strong coffee and tea.
- Fast food.
- Smoked meat and food enriched with salt.
Use of medication
The use of medication in home therapy aims to relieve pain and alleviate the general condition.
While medicines are prescribed:
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Ointments and gels.
- Vitamin complexes (B vitamins in tablets and injections).
Acupuncture with an applicator
To perform such an effective method as acupuncture at home, an applicator is used. The needle massager is attached to a roller or belt with fasteners. By inhaling the needles in the affected area, the applicator helps increase blood circulation and affects the active areas of the neck.
When using this method, it is necessary to consult a doctor who will indicate the duration of exposure.
Folk remedies are also widely used as a method of treating pathology. There are several types of folk remedies:
Compresses. There are many opportunities to make compresses. This includes:
- Compression of kerosene. . . Helps to relieve pain quickly. To do this, it is necessary to soak the fabric in kerosene and apply to the affected area, closing it with a bag no more than 3 hours.
- Potato and honey compress. . . To prepare it, you will need fifty grams of mashed potatoes and 50 grams of honey. The ingredients are mixed and spread on a natural cloth, then applied to a sore spot for forty-five minutes. Helps relieve pain in three days.
- Compression of horseradish leaves. . . For cooking, it is necessary to soak the young horseradish leaves in boiling water for a few seconds and immediately wrap them around the neck, cover with a bag and tie with a warm bandage and keep as long aspossible. It is advisable to apply a compress at night. This compress helps relieve inflammation and helps restore mobility of the cervical spine.
- Compress for alcohol. . . You will need 300 milliliters of medical alcohol, ten milliliters of iodine and camphor alcohol, as well as ten tablets of crushed analgin. All ingredients are mixed and applied to the injured area.
- Compress radish. . . The radish should be rubbed on a fine grater, placed between two non-thick fabrics and joined at the neck with polyethylene as long as there is ample opportunity to endure.
Paraffin applicators. As a popular remedy for pain in cervical osteochondrosis, a paraffin applicator helps well. To do this, you need to melt the wax or paraffin and cool it to the desired temperature. Melted paraffin is applied to the cervical spine twice a week.
- Decoction of sunflower root. . . To prepare it, you will need the roots of washed, dried, crushed plants. 150 grams of crushed roots should be filled with 2700 ml. water and boil for 30 minutes. Take half an hour after meals for a month.
- Needle soup. . . Young spruce or pine needles in the amount of 250 grams per liter of water are boiled for half an hour. It is worth taking twice a day, after 8 hours, half an hour after a meal, for a month.
- Decoction of dandelion root. . . The root of the plant is crushed and water is added in a proportion of 250 ml. 15 grams of root. Cook in a water bath for 15 minutes and soak for an hour. Then filter the broth and take 75 milliliters before eating.
- Herbal decoction. . . It is prepared from the collection of dandelion leaves, thyme, chamomile flowers, calendula, yarrow and St. John's wort. All ingredients need two tablespoons. Mix everything, then pour two tablespoons of the mixture with a liter of boiling water and insist. Take three times daily before meals, 50 grams, for three weeks.
Friction. Friction, like other folk remedies, is prevalent among home methods to combat the disease. There are several options for them:
- Friction of the stem and flower of the mother and stepmother. . . 20 grams of plant stalks and flowers should be filled with 320 ml. alcohol and place for a month in a dark, cool room. It is then filtered and the painful areas of the neck rubbed.
- Horseradish rubbing. . . Horseradish juice should be combined in equal parts with alcohol and rubbed into painful areas, avoiding the lymph nodes.
- Rubbing mulberry. . . Pour one hundred grams of herb with 500 grams of vodka and insist for a week, after which they rub the cervical region.
Osteochondrosis of the cervix is easily curable at an early stage of its development. Therefore, by using the recommendations of the attending physician and systematically performing therapy at home, you can easily get rid of this disease.