The onset of osteochondrosis cannot be ignored. This will threaten the development of complex pathologies and the emergence of vertebral discs. You can treat yourself at home after consulting a doctor.
Treatment of this disease in the early stages of development protects against complications and does not allow the disease to change the usual way of life.Osteochondrosis as a disease of the spine Osteochondrosis is a disease that affects the spine. It consists of a malnutrition of the intervertebral discs. They shrink and begin to press on the spinal discs.
Elasticity gradually deteriorates, nerve endings tighten, pain and swelling appear. As the disease progresses, complications can occur that can worsen the quality of life.
According to the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-10), osteochondrosis has the code M42. In this case, juvenile spinal osteochondrosis will be defined as M42, and an adult M42. 1. If there is any doubt in the diagnosis, code M42 is used. 9. This is called spinal osteochondrosis, unspecified.
When dividing osteochondrosis into parts of the spine, other codes will be used. With the defeat of the cervical spine M42. 02, and with that cervicothoracic M42. 03.
Types of disease
Spinal osteochondrosis spreads to different parts of it.
What types of osteochondrosis occur:
- polysigmental, can spread to several places at once;
- widespread, affects at least 2 departments;
- osteochondrosis of the shoulder joints, hip joints and knee.
Making a diagnosis
To make a diagnosis, you should consult a specific doctor. Osteochondrosis is treated by a neurologist or vertebrologist. After their consultation, treatment is chosen.
To do this, you must perform:
- spine radiography;
- magnetic resonance;
- computed tomography.
The doctor may order any other tests required to make an accurate diagnosis.
Degrees of osteochondrosis
Osteochondrosis develops gradually and goes through 4 stages.
Characteristics of the stages of the disease:
- In stage 1of disease development, changes begin to occur that affect the height of the spinal disc. But this is not noticed yet. All changes occur in the intervertebral disc itself.
- In stage 2the height of the intervertebral disc decreases and their convergence occurs. This causes the muscles and ligaments to contract. Instability of the vertebrae and the entire musculoskeletal system appears.
- In 3 stagesof developing osteochondrosis, obvious symptoms appear. Changes in the vertebrae begin to occur. A disk extension appears.
- Stage 4The patient's body is struggling with the problem. Bone growths in the vertebrae begin to form, which can damage nerve endings. A manifestation of joint immobility comes and the vertebrae fall into a kind of shell.
Early treatment is faster and provides a guarantee of complete recovery.
Causes of developing osteochondrosis
The onset of the disease is an uneven load on the spine. This happens with certain habits to which many people do not pay attention.
What habits can cause osteochondrosis to develop:
- carrying a purse on one shoulder;
- very soft place to sleep;
- wrong shoes;
- any damage;
- sedentary lifestyle;
- age-related changes;
But this does not mean that in the presence of one of these situations, osteochondrosis will necessarily develop.
For this, there must be other accompanying factors:
- Frequent overload and a lot of stress.
- Disruption of the digestive system and poor absorption of nutrients.
- Inheritance or pathological changes in behavior.
- Nicotine and malnutrition.
- Pathologies when carrying a child.
Symptoms of osteochondrosis
With the development of osteochondrosis, different symptoms will be noticed in different areas of the spine:
If you touch the cervical spine, you will notice the following:
- Headachesthat do not go away with medication. The quality of vision is still deteriorating, flies begin to appear before the eyes and there will be noise in the ears.
- Oxygen starvation occursdue to arteries that are compressed. Reduces blood circulation to the brain.
- Hives and shortness of breath may occur.Depending on the degree of disease development, external symptoms of the disease may appear.
If the chest region is affected, the pain will be felt in the chest and intercostal region:
- It can still be felt in the upper abdomen.Some initially misunderstand it as heart or stomach pain. In this case, a violation of the swallowing reflex may occur, a cough will appear.
- In the middle of the chest, the symptoms will resemble gastritis or ulcers, but your blood pressure will be high.
- If the lower backbone is affected,may mistakenly suggest worsening of appendicitis.
- There is pain in the lower back and legs.In this case, sometimes there is a feeling of numbness of the skin of the feet. Lumbago will appear in the lower back after each load.
- If the lesion is severe enough, paralysis can occur.Men have problems with erection and urination.
- Each symptomrequires special treatment. Osteochondrosis is treated regardless of the affected area.
First aid for pain attacks at homeOsteochondrosis can suddenly appear in the form of pain and lumbago. In some ways, they are similar to the symptoms of stomach or heart disease.
What is dorsago?
This is an attack of severe and acute chest pain. Provoked by an uncomfortable body position, muscle spasm. The pain is felt under the shoulder and chest.
It looks a lot like a heart attack. But with circular motions, the pain will begin to intensify. If you do a cardiogram, it will show nothing. Using heart medication does not help.
What is dorsalgia?
This is an attack of pain in the chest area, in which the sensation gradually increases. The duration of an attack can be from a few hours to a week. They will be especially strong when you suck or bend on either side.
Painful sensations intensify at night. These two phenomena can be observed in the acute stage of manifestation of osteochondrosis of the chest.
First aid for home crises:
- Wrap and warm the painful area of the body.Cold helps some patients. But such compresses should be done on the recommendation of a doctor and under his supervision.
- The patient should be placed on a flat, firm surface.For this, use a plank or floor.
- If the pain radiates to the neck,you need to fix it with a latch.
- If you experience severe chest pain, a tight chest bandage should be placed.
- If lumbago and pain in the lumbar region,a roller is placed under it. And when the leg muscles are tense, he is placed below the knees and the legs are slightly bent.
- Anesthetic may be used.
General principles of treatment
If symptoms of osteochondrosis occur, you should go to the hospital. Treatment of this disease is usually carried out in a complex.
Measures applied: use of medicines, medicines; special exercises; proper nutrition and surgery.
If the disease is chronic and the period of deterioration has begun, the patient needs:
- Observe the rest of the bed.
- The sleeping area should be firm.
- In case of severe pain, the patient's movement should be limited.
Treatment of osteochondrosis at homeOsteochondrosis can be treated at home if surgery is not required. To do this, you will need to be patient and follow all the doctor's recommendations.
- Perform selected exercises from the complex of physiotherapy exercises,gymnastics can be done in the morning and in the evening, but only according to a certain scheme.
- Depending on where the osteochondrosis develops, self-massage should be done. If necessary, involve a specialist.
- For treatment, various popular recipes for rubbing and tinctures are used.They are used for compresses and rubbing. Good results are obtained when using medical baths. Herbal teas or essential oils are suitable.
- Acupuncture or acupressure is used at home.But for this it is better to hire a specialist.
- A cheap but effective treatment is to use a needle applicator.Helps with many other ailments.
Magnets help cure osteochondrosis. The magnetic field restores blood circulation. For this, use a specialdevice.In this case, different techniques are used, which depend on the degree of development of the disease. This device has good treatment results.
Physical education for osteochondrosis
Exercise can improve the quality of treatment for osteochondrosis, while:
- Recovery of muscle functions.
- Improving motor functions.
- Normalize blood circulation.
- Restoration of metabolic processes.
- Providing oxygen supply to spinal tissues.
- Harmful substances are eliminated faster from the body.
Moderate exercise is essential for treating and preventing this disease.
Exercises can be done in different starting positions.
The complex is selected individually:
- Exercise number 1.Lying on your back, arms outstretched. At the same time, they raise their head and hold it slightly in this position.
- Exercise number 2.Lying in any position, you should twist with your hands, bending at the elbows or with your hands.
- Exercise number 3.In the supine position, you should raise your arms and pull them towards the ceiling.
- Exercise number 4.Lying on your back, join the shoulder blades. In this position, it lasts a little.
- Exercise number 5.Lying on both sides, one hand is placed under the ear and the other is on the floor. In this case, you can stand up or make rocking movements with your hands.
- Exercise # 6.Lying on your stomach, your arms stretch forward and make swimming-like movements.
- Exercise no. 7.In a sitting position, you can tilt your head sideways and forward or backward. Make moves that mimic cycling.
Pilates and Yoga
To prevent osteochondrosis, use exercises that are used when doing yoga or Pilates.
- You need to stand upright, straight, and your legs pulled together.
- The arms sit down along the body.
- The abdomen should be extended.
- In this position, you should stay for at least 5 minutes.
This element of yoga will help carry out preventive measures for osteochondrosis.
- in the starting standing position, hands are on the shoulders, you should press with the hands on the shoulders, while pulling out smoothly, every 15 minutes;
- in the same starting position, hands down, make circular movements with the head in different directions, while you should monitor your breathing.
Massage and Physiotherapy
In the treatment of osteochondrosis, it can not be done without the use of physiotherapy procedures.
- Stretch your spine using a special mat. This method is called detentive therapy.
- Magnetotherapy is used to improve blood circulation, to get rid of edema.
- Ultrasound will help relieve inflammation.
- Phonoresis is used to administer medication using ultrasound.
- EHF helps stimulate the body and helps restore the mobility of the vertebral discs.
- Laser therapy relieves inflammation.
- Vibration is used to massage the desired area.
- Darsonvalization refers to older methods of treatment. It consists in the action of high frequency electric current.
Treatment of osteochondrosis is not complete without the use of medication. Depending on the degree of development of the disease, tablets or capsules for oral administration may be used; oils and injections.
What will the medicines do? They will reduce pain, stop inflammation, repair tissues, improve circulation and relieve depression.
Acupuncture and manual therapyWill acupuncture help with osteochondrosis? Its use can be included in the complex of therapeutic measures.
When using acupuncture, a person will feel a decrease in pain, an activation of cortisol production, which will help relieve inflammation; restoring blood circulation and increasing the sedative effect. Acupuncture sessions should be done by a specialist.
Techniques used in manual therapy:
- Special massage.
- Mobilization or automation.
- Manipulation, which involves various movements that will aim to improve the movement of the joints.
These treatments can prevent many diseases.
When detecting osteochondrosis, nutrition should adhere to certain principles, these include:
- choosing low calorie foods;
- compulsory use of fermented milk products;
- inclusion of plant-based products in the diet;
- nutrition should be balanced;
- exclude all harmful products;
- observe the drinking regime.
Eat more foods that contain vitamins and minerals. This increases the therapeutic effect and makes preventive measures more effective.
Exercises can aim at treating osteochondrosis of different departments.
- In a standing position, you should tilt your head back and stay there for about 30 seconds.
- In the same position, you should turn your head in different directions.
- With your head tilted to your shoulder, hold for 20 seconds.
- Sitting in a chair, raise your hands and hold them there.
This type of treatment is included in the package of measures taken.
To avoid osteochondrosis, it is necessary to engage in prevention. Even if the treatment is successful, preventive measures can not be abandoned.
These measures will help prevent many other diseases:
- Organize your workplace correctly.This is especially true for office workers. You need to choose the height of the table and chair, the computer should be at the right distance;
- it is necessary to pay attention to the arrangement of the sleeping place.Pillow and mattress should be orthopedic;
- To avoid the development of osteochondrosis, give preference to vegetables, fruits, lean fish and meat in your diet; dairy products should always be in the diet.
- Exercise.Morning exercises every day for 10 minutes are able to keep you alive, do not consume alcohol and nicotine.
- Periodic massage sessionsof the back and other body parts.
Prevention is also needed for people who do not suffer from symptoms but are at risk. This refers to people over 40 - 45 years old, as well as the elderly, regardless of their type of activity.